From Congressman Guy Reschenthaler :
U.S. Representatives Guy Reschenthaler (PA-14) and Karen Bass (CA-37), reintroduced the Protecting the Health and Wellness of Babies and Pregnant Women in Custody Act. This legislation, which passed  the U.S. House of Representatives by voice vote last Congress, would establish a national standard of care to provide prenatal and post-delivery care to incarcerated women and their babies.
Specifically, the Protecting the Health and Wellness of Babies and Pregnant Women in Custody Act would support incarcerated pregnant women and their unborn children by:
- Providing access to prenatal and post-delivery care and support.
- Ensuring the Federal Bureau of Prisons captures accurate data on the health and mental health care needs of pregnant inmates.
- Providing incentives for states to enact and enforce similar laws and policies.
- Requiring the Government Accountability Office to conduct a study on current practices for pregnant women in state and local jails and prisons.
This legislation has been endorsed by the following organizations: American Psychological Association, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, the National Association of Maternal & Child Health Programs (AMCHP), DreamCorps (formerly #Cut50), Vera Institute for Justice, R Street Institute, American Conservative Union.
- “Congressman Guy Reschenthaler”: https://reschenthaler.house.gov/media/press-releases/reschenthaler-bass-reintroduce-bipartisan-legislation-support-pregnant
- “passed”: http://reschenthaler.house.gov/media/press-releases/house-passes-reschenthaler-bills-protect-seniors-citizens-pregnant-women