R Sheet on Patents, Copyrights, and Intellectual Property Policy
- 1) Patents and copyrights are important government programs for stimulating invention and creativity but can be abused, which harms the public and stifles productive innovation.
- 2) R Street seeks to promote balanced patent and copyright systems that can both protect the value of intellectual property protection and the need to avoid abuses.
- 3) With respect to patents, R Street is specifically focused on patent examination quality, the International Trade Commission and software patents.
- 4) Regarding copyrights, R Street focuses on online intermediary liability and effects on new technologies.
- 5) Regarding open source and open data, R Street believes that increasing flexibility within data licensing regimes—both on the private and public levels—will encourage the growth of private enterprise and civic engagement.