R Sheet on Georgia Suspension of Occupational Licenses for Student Loan Defaults
- 1) Thousands of Georgians struggle with student-loan debt.
- 2) Georgia law permits boards to strip individuals of their professional licenses for falling behind on student loans.
- 3) This power creates poverty, harms families, hinders workers’ abilities to repay debts and fails to reliably deter defaults.
- 4) Moreover, licensure suspensions are unnecessary because other, less harmful debt-collection tools are available.
- 5) Georgia should repeal this power like other states have already done.