The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks an upbeat federal government affairs manager to orchestrate R Street’s federal outreach on many issues. If you are the right fit, you will report to the director of federal government affairs. If you want to join an energetic organization and do something outstanding, this may be just the opportunity you need!
Your typical day at R Street may include meeting with congressional staff to discuss a new R Street policy paper on digital privacy; writing a coalition letter to support autonomous vehicle legislation; or working with the policy team to draft and submit a letter for the record at an upcoming hearing on telehealth. This role will serve the government affairs team and work across all policy teams, with a particular focus on the energy and harm reduction policy teams.
Other Aspects of Your Role
- Design and implement strategies to bolster our policy ideas on Capitol Hill, including finding and maintaining relationships with legislative offices and committees.
- Build and nurture coalitions with a diverse range of allied groups and find opportunities to engage with coalition partners.
- Draft op-eds, policy shorts and blog posts to advance our position on federal issues.
- Seek out and develop opportunities for our policy experts to cultivate relationships on Capitol Hill, speak and/or testify before government agencies and legislative bodies.
- Serve as a public face of R Street and represent our brand at regular meetings, conferences and events.
- Periodic lookout shifts to guard against ninja infiltration.
Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability working on Capitol Hill or in a position with an outside organization that involves regular ongoing work with Capitol Hill
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A highly adaptable, driven self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Consistent record working with individuals and groups who possess diverse viewpoints
- Experience working on energy and harm reduction policy issues is a plus, but we are happy to consider excellent candidates with a background in any policy area
- No particular academic background is required; a proven track record of results is far more important than credentials
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a multidimensional organization!
This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C. We offer a flexible working arrangement that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or work remotely.
Compensation, Benefits, and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street is committed to a workplace that values diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe having a more diverse workforce will strengthen R Street’s ability to innovate, achieve our mission and support long-term systemic change. As people dedicated to limited, effective government and free markets, we understand that a free society achieves its greatest triumphs by allowing and facilitating a wide variety of approaches to public policy problems. The concept of “broad coalitions,” one of our core operating principles, stems from that insight. People of all races, religions, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, life experiences and socioeconomic backgrounds perform at the highest levels in every type of work that we do and have crafted the principles to which we subscribe. We believe that searching for talent everywhere is an integral part of living up to our principles.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.
- “To apply, you must upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.”: https://street.applytojob.com/apply/EBGYWJNDMK/Federal-Government-Affairs-Manager