Market Approaches to California’s Housing Affordability Crisis
When: May 25, 2022, 4:00 – 7:00 PM PT
Where: Hyatt Regency Sacramento, 1209 L Street, Sacramento, CA 95814
- Brian Hanlon, President and CEO of California Yes In My Back Yard (YIMBY). Hanlon will discuss Senate Bills 9 and 10, explaining how they provide one model for alleviating California’s housing crunch. In 2015, he co-founded the California Renters Legal Advocacy and Education Fund, which sues cities that violate state housing law.
- Lawrence McQuillan, Senior Fellow and Director, Center on Entrepreneurial Innovation, Independent Institute. McQuillan will discuss market approaches toward promoting affordable housing. He also authored the 2020 report, “Solving California’s Housing Affordability Crisis.”
- Robert Naylor, Veteran Lobbyist. Naylor will provide a legislative update of issues related to redevelopment and eminent domain.
- Holly Fraumeni De Jesús, Partner, Lighthouse Public Affairs, and an expert in California housing issues. De Jesús will provide a legislative update on California housing policy.
- Steven Greenhut, Western Region Director, R Street Institute. Greenhut will review the failed housing policies of California’s now-defunct redevelopment agencies.
- A member of the Republican Assembly caucus will discuss the GOP’s housing agenda.
With the median California home price topping $800,000 and rents at record highs, the state has a full-blown housing affordability crisis. Come join a lively, informal discussion about past and current housing policies—and explore ways our state can incentivize housing construction and provide a chance at the California Dream for people from all income levels.
The event is sponsored by the R Street Institute, a free-market think tank, and Fieldstead and Company, a philanthropy of Howard Ahmanson.
The reception is complimentary and includes soft drinks, beer, wine and hors d’oeuvres. RSVPs are kindly requested to Steven Greenhut at [email protected].
Recent Work from the Federal Affairs Team