From Institute for Local Self-Reliance :
In this episode of Building Local Power, ILSR Co-Director John Farrell is joined by Chris Villarreal, President of Plugged In Strategies and an Associate Fellow with the R Street Institute . Their discussion focuses on monopoly power in the energy sector, and how lack of competition impacts consumers and stands in the way of progress.
Highlights of their conversation include:
- What’s behind growing interest in public takeovers of electric utilities.
- Why electricity markets were originally designed as monopolies and why that structure doesn’t fit the way energy use and production has evolved.
- How utilities use their monopoly power to shape regulation and limit competition.
- Rethinking utilities and the energy distribution system in order to incentivize competition.
- “Institute for Local Self-Reliance”: https://ilsr.org/energy-monopolies-villarreal-episode137/
- “R Street Institute”: https://www.rstreet.org/