Our water supply.
We often take these critical infrastructure systems for granted, but they’re all becoming increasingly dependent on the internet to function.
In Hack the Plant, podcast host Bryson Bort  looks for answers to questions about whether connecting these systems to the internet leaves us more vulnerable to attacks by our enemies. Bort is a military veteran and national security senior fellow at the R Street Institute who also spends his time between work on the frontlines of cyber defense and ICS Village, a nonprofit that equips industry experts and policymakers with the tools to better defend our critical infrastructure.
“An attack on our critical infrastructure, the degradation to the point that they can no longer support us, means that we go back to the stone age, literally overnight,” said Bort.
Each month, he will introduce listeners to hackers, insiders and government figures working at the intersection of cybersecurity and public safety to protect the systems we rely upon every day. It is a podcast aimed at experts and policy staff who want to know who to talk with to fix our nation’s cybersecurity problems.
Season 1 of Hack the Plant releases on the last Monday of every month and the first guests include:
- Joshua Corman , founder of “I Am the Cavalry” and senior advisor to the Homeland Security Department’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA). Corman has also spent time at IBM and the Atlantic Council, among other places.
- P.W. Singer , author, strategist at New America and former founding director of the Center for 21st Century Security and Intelligence at the Brookings Institution. The Wall Street Journal described him as “the premier futurist in the national-security environment” and the Smithsonian named him as one of the nation’s 100 leading innovators. No author, living or dead, has more books on the professional military reading lists.
- “Bryson Bort”: https://www.rstreet.org/team/bryson-bort/
- “Joshua Corman”: https://twitter.com/joshcorman
- “P.W. Singer”: https://twitter.com/peterwsinger
- “Apple Podcasts”: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hack-the-plant/id1528852909
- “Spotify”: https://open.spotify.com/show/1gpbeima7ivtaPQN6UHy3c
- “Stitcher”: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/why-public-service/hack-the-plant
- “RSS feed”: https://feeds.simplecast.com/iTYwWFdE