R Sheet on birth control deregulation
- 1) Contraception accessibility is an issue that states must address.
- 2) Pharmacy access to birth control prescriptions is a sensible model that some states have approved and more should consider.
- 3) Scope-of-practice for pharmacists, as well as perhaps other medical professionals, must be expanded to ensure better access to safe contraceptive methods.
- 4) Congress should urge the FDA to review the approved use of certain birth control methods, so that over-the-counter access becomes a possibility.
- 5) As longer-acting birth control methods continue to increase in popularity, states should include them in any scope-of-practice expansion policy debates.