Are you a forward thinker? Are you inspired by a dynamic work environment and passionate, well-reasoned peers? Are you committed to free markets and real solutions? If you answer an unequivocal yes, then we need you as our Technology Policy Managing Senior Fellow to manage and build an exceptional team and lead important work in issue areas such as privacy, antitrust, telecommunications, emerging technologies and online content moderation. If you want to join an energetic organization and do something extraordinary, this may be just the opportunity for you.
Depending on your area of expertise, your typical day at R Street may include finishing an op-ed on the impact a proposed competition law could have on U.S. technology firms, providing guidance on a junior staffer’s policy analysis, helping an analyst scope out a research project on data privacy, or consulting with a congressional staffer on an upcoming AI hearing.
Other Aspects of Your Role:
- Build, manage and coach a team of research fellows, analysts and associates
- Help conceive and oversee research projects that are high quality, highly credible and timely
- Adapt policy, engagement and communication strategy in a quick-changing legislative and regulatory landscape
- Work with government affairs and communications teams to identify and consistently engage with target audiences
- Write a mix of op-eds, regulatory comments, amicus briefs and policy papers to help solve difficult problems and translate complex ideas in technology policy
- Collaborate with internal and external scholars to move the policy conversation forward
- Keep up-to-date with the latest research in your subset of technology policy
- Attend and speak at events and convenings (virtual until further notice)
Skills and Qualifications:
- Top-notch writing and public speaking skills
- Published expert in one of the technology fields above
- At least six years of experience working for a public policy institution
- At least two years of management experience involving oversight of multiple full-time W-2 employees
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and deliver sophisticated, multi-part projects
- Ability to synthesize complex academic/technical literature for a policy audience
- Ability to work productively with a wide variety of groups and individuals including those with whom you may disagree
- Entrepreneurial attitude and willingness to be a self-starter
- No particular educational background is required: proven ability to achieve results is far more important than credentials
- Aligned with our mission for free markets and limited, effective government
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
For the duration of COVID-19-related closures, our staff will work remotely. This position, however, is based in Washington, D.C., and post-pandemic, will require spending some amount of time in our D.C. office and on Capitol Hill.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); a wellness benefit (how many other employers give you money for a monthly massage?); an employer-subsidized mobile phones benefit; 401(k) contributions with up to a four percent match; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy. We were named in Washingtonian Magazine’s Great Places to Work List and take pride in providing an exceptional environment for our employees.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or nonsensical to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for video interviews on a rolling basis. Due to COVID-19, we will hold interviews virtually, via Zoom, until our D.C. office reopens. To apply, please upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format. 
- “To apply, please upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.”: https://street.applytojob.com/apply/5gi5WsiRoV/Senior-Fellow-Technology-Innovation-Policy?source=R+Street