The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks a media relations director to help drive the organization’s relationships and engagement with the news media nationally and regionally. In conjunction with the Creative & Media Director, this position will craft and implement media strategies that will elevate our policy scholars and brand to ensure we are sought-after sources of information for reporters, editors and producers.
The typical day at R Street will include, managing day-to-day engagement with the news media; helping to lead rapid response to public policy angles in the news and working with our experts to seize those opportunities; pitching policy stories for journalists to write or finding scholars for them to interview; preparing organization spokespeople for interviews; and cultivating relationships with key journalists.
For this position, we are seeking a motivated leader eager to help build processes and products that connect our policy scholars and ideas directly with the media—and test them in real time. The Media Relations Director will report to the Creative & Media Director as part of a growing team of communications and digital media professionals. If you want to help grow a collaborative and multifaceted organization working to promote pragmatic, positive policy solutions, this may be just the opportunity you need.
This is not an on-the-record position.
- Help design media relations plans to connect R Street scholars with reporters and editors.
- Book interviews on radio, TV and podcasts.
- Manage R Street’s presence in tip sheets, newsletters, editorial boards and more.
- Craft editorial calendars for engaging regular news cycles with our policy expertise.
- Lead general media strategies with the Creative & Media Director around marquee policy products.
- Pitch exclusives and manage release windows for policy products with the communications and editorial teams.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists, including inviting them to events and educating them about our work.
- Help craft talking points for high-level events and speaking opportunities.
- Ensure consistent messaging to journalists regarding our policy positions.
- Ideate a wide variety of policy materials for media audiences.
- Aid in crafting crisis response plans.
- Help edit and pitch opinion pieces.
- Write press releases, advisories, and more about upcoming R Street projects and accomplishments.
- Create and manage ongoing press lists.
- Marshal and coordinate R Street resources for media-related projects of all sizes.
- At least 8 years of experience, either in media relations, communications, journalism or a mix.
- Excellent writing, editing and time management skills.
- High attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, be responsive to internal and external audiences, and work collaboratively.
- Self-starter with a problem-solving attitude.
- Driven to communicate policy issues clearly and frequently to a variety of audiences.
- Passion for free markets and public policy.
- A sense of humor.
We offer a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street is committed to a workplace that values diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe having a more diverse workforce will strengthen R Street’s ability to innovate, achieve our mission and support long-term systemic change. As people dedicated to limited, effective government and free markets, we understand that a free society achieves its greatest triumphs by allowing and facilitating a wide variety of approaches to public policy problems. The concept of “broad coalitions,” one of our core operating principles, stems from that insight. People of all races, religions, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, life experiences and socioeconomic backgrounds perform at the highest levels in every type of work that we do and have shaped the principles to which we subscribe. We believe that searching for talent everywhere is an integral part of living up to our principles.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.
- “To apply, you must upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.”: https://street.applytojob.com/apply/sWG1xSoFJB/Media-Relations-Director?source=Rstreet