The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks an energetic Budget Analyst or Senior Budget Analyst. If you are the right fit for this position, you will report to the Senior Manager of Finance. Want to join a young, energetic organization and do something extraordinary? This may be just the opportunity for you.
R Street is looking for a candidate with a thorough understanding of budget and forecasting preparation. Candidates should have an incredibly high drive to learn and take on significant responsibility. Beyond financial compilation and analysis, a qualified candidate will be able to insightfully apply financial tools, techniques and concepts to inform business decisions and drive results for the organization. This is a brand-new role, so we are looking for entrepreneurial candidates who can apply business acumen to the nonprofit realm. The R Street Institute is a public policy research organization experiencing rapid staff growth and prolific scholarly output. This role will serve a vital function in our organization’s financial and regulatory oversight, and will support our overall business strategy.
- Work closely with both the Senior Manager of Finance and the Director of Business Development to develop and monitor grant budgets as well as the overall organization budget.
- Review and enhance existing forecasting tools and produce quarterly and yearly reports.
- Assist in the monthly close-out process, specifically the production of monthly status reports.
- Help the organization identify and implement a new business planning software—currently R Street uses PlanGuru.
- Assist in production of financial reports for donors.
- Participate in monthly finance meeting with policy directors.
- Serve as a backup for the Senior Manager of Finance in his absence.
- Periodic lookout shifts to guard against ninja infiltration.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration.
- Five or more years of experience developing and monitoring grant budgets.
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government.
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization.
This is a full-time job based in Washington, D.C., and requires daily presence in our office. R Street is growing rapidly but remains a close-knit team.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a highly competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); wellness benefits; an employer-subsidized mobile-phone benefit; 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact ideal individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. We will hold in-person interviews in our D.C. office.