The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—seeks an energetic fellow in Technology & Innovation Policy to work primarily in issue areas such as internet governance, promoting accuracy and reliability online. This position reports to the director of the Technology & Innovation Policy program. If you want to join a hardworking organization and do something outstanding, this may be just the opportunity you need!
Your typical day at R Street will focus on the translation of relevant scholarship into short-form pieces designed for non-academic audiences, including policymakers. You will also engage in outreach and event facilitation for relevant scholarship and policy outputs and develop original written work.
Other Aspects of Your Role:
- Engage with academic partners and the broader community of researchers working on internet governance and the information ecosystem.
- Support the strategic design and execution of community events to increase the impact of relevant scholarship.
- Identify opportunities to highlight academic research on how to address the challenges of misinformation and disinformation online and new mechanisms for improving online trust and safety mechanisms.
- Distill long-form academic work into various short-form pieces useful for broader audiences, according to formats determined together with R Street leadership and our partners.
- Generate original blog posts, op-eds, policy papers and other pieces to educate policymakers on key public policy issues related to internet governance, promoting accuracy and reliability online and addressing concerns over the impact of misinformation and disinformation on internet users.
- Organize events that provide opportunities for academic research to be presented in a format that makes it accessible to policymakers and others.
- Periodic lookout shifts to guard against ninja infiltration.
Skills and Qualifications:
- No particular academic background is required; a proven track record of results is far more important than credentials. But a strong familiarity with the academic research process is helpful.
- Substantive knowledge of internet governance and the policy issues surrounding online trust and misinformation and disinformation
- Effective networking skills to build and sustain relationships with diverse partners, particularly in academic centers
- Strong writing skills and the ability to translate complex concepts to broad audiences
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a multidimensional organization!
We offer a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks of holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street is committed to a workplace that values diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe having a more diverse workforce will strengthen R Street’s ability to innovate, achieve our mission and support long-term systemic change. As people dedicated to limited, effective government and free markets, we understand that a free society achieves its greatest triumphs by allowing and facilitating a wide variety of approaches to public policy problems. The concept of “broad coalitions,” one of our core operating principles, stems from that insight. People of all races, religions, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, life experiences and socioeconomic backgrounds perform at the highest levels in every type of work that we do and have crafted the principles to which we subscribe. We believe that searching for talent everywhere is an integral part of living up to our principles.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.
- “To apply, you must upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF.”: https://street.applytojob.com/apply/q2Y3R00agv/Translational-Fellow-Technology-Innovation-Policy