The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks an expert on national security and cybersecurity to join a growing world-class team focused on finding real solutions to some of the toughest challenges that society faces in these areas. If you are the right fit, you will report to the Institute’s Director of National Security and Cybersecurity. If you want to join an energetic organization and do something extraordinary, this may be just the opportunity you need.
A typical day at R Street would include finishing edits on a major policy paper that you drafted, writing a new op-ed on cybersecurity topics, doing a television interview on a recent cyber intrusion and briefing a senior congressional staffer on R Street’s latest national security white paper.
Your job responsibilities will include:
- Producing world-class written work, ranging from blog posts to academic articles, intended to find real solutions to challenging and complex national security and cybersecurity problems on a timely basis.
- Identifying and addressing emerging issues, especially those involving cutting-edge technologies like artificial intelligence and 5G, and helping to develop our research and outreach agenda around them.
- Engaging at a leadership level with an array of public and private sector stakeholders on difficult national security and cyber matters at conferences, in the media and in one-on-one meetings.
- Working directly with our supporters and allies to develop and enhance strategic, financial and coalition relationships with R Street.
We want someone who produces excellent work, knows how to support his/her teammates, and has the ability to be open-minded and assertive at the same time. Candidates should be able to work collaboratively across the organization with a variety of teams.
- Strong writing skills, ideally as demonstrated by a record of published work
- Relevant practical experience in a public or private sector cybersecurity or national security role
- Excellent public speaking skills and an ability to engage effectively with various media outlets
- Exceptional analytical and communications skills with an ability to synthesize complex information quickly and explain complicated concepts clearly and concisely
- Excellent attention to detail and an ability to manage effectively competing interests and priorities
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
This is a full-time job based in Washington, D.C. R Street is growing rapidly but remains a close-knit team.
There is no particular education or experience requirement for the job, although we expect that most candidates will have advanced degrees relevant to the job as well as five or more years of experience. That said, we understand that a variety of life experiences and skills can be relevant to this job and a demonstrated record of accomplishment can substitute for any particular credential.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and non-profits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families), a wellness benefit, an employer-subsidized mobile phones benefit, 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact ideal individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. We will hold in-person interviews in our D.C. office.