We at the R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—are seeking a cyber and national security professional to join an outstanding team that is passionate about finding real solutions to some of the toughest challenges in cyber and national security. If we find you to be the right fit, you will report to the director of the Cybersecurity and Emerging Threats program. If you want to join a growing, upbeat organization and do something extraordinary, this may be just the opportunity you need!
Your typical day at R Street may include researching and writing exceptional policy papers, op-eds and blog posts about significant topics related to cybersecurity and emerging threats; engaging directly with leaders on key policy issue areas; and interacting with a range of national and local media outlets to educate and provide context on the most impactful national security and cyber issues.
- Conduct independent research and produce novel written products targeted to a variety of audiences (e.g., legislators, regulators, industry, the more general public) in any of the following areas: Supply chain security and China, Encryption and/or Data security/privacy.
- Stay on top of the field to identify and address over-the-horizon and white space issues, especially those involving cutting-edge technology issues such as artificial intelligence.
- Serve as an established subject matter expert for an array of public and private sector partners and settings (high-profile media, meetings with Capitol Hill staff or legislators, national and international conferences, etc.).
- Assist the program director by providing feedback on grant proposals to drive program strategy thoughtfully.
- Collaborate across the organization with government affairs, publications and communications teams to identify target audiences and engage with them consistently and effectively.
Other Aspects of Your Role
- Identify new and unique policy initiatives that will attract support from a wide range of donors.
- Think critically, speak your mind, but be open to being wrong and adjusting accordingly.
- Demonstrate acceptable failure tolerance as part of the learning and research process.
- Be an encouraging and supportive teammate.
Skills and Qualifications
- Advanced degree(s) in relevant fields plus at least five years of post-graduate experience
- Exceptional analytical and communications skills with an ability to synthesize complex information quickly, and explain complicated concepts clearly and concisely
- Superior interpersonal skills and a strong team orientation
- Ability to serve effectively in a cross-functional role working simultaneously with several different R Street organizational units
- A self-starter with excellent attention to detail and an ability to manage effectively competing interests and priorities
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization!
We offer a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote with occasional travel to the Washington, D.C metropolitan area. R Street is growing rapidly but remains a close-knit team.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
We strive to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or nonsensical to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.
- “To apply, please upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.”: https://street.applytojob.com/apply/RB8w7gjM8X/Senior-Fellow-Cybersecurity-Emerging-Threats-Program?source=R+Street