The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks a senior analyst of financial planning and analysis. If you want to join a young, energetic organization and do something extraordinary, this may be just the opportunity for you.
R Street is looking for a candidate with a thorough understanding of budgets, financial planning and forecasting preparation. Candidates should have an incredibly high drive to learn and take on significant responsibility. Beyond financial compilation and analysis, a qualified candidate will be able to insightfully apply financial tools, techniques and concepts to inform business decisions and drive results for the organization. If you are the right fit for this position, you will report to the senior manager of finance. This is a brand-new role, so we are looking for entrepreneurial candidates who can apply business acumen to the nonprofit realm.
The R Street Institute is a public policy research organization experiencing rapid staff growth and prolific scholarly output. This role will serve a vital function in our organization’s financial and regulatory oversight, and will support our overall business strategy.
- Assist in the management of yearly financial planning and quarterly budgeting processes
- Assist in the preparation of budgets for grant proposals
- Provide analytical and operational support to the financial analysis, planning and forecasting processes
- Forecast income statements, balance sheets, cash flow and associated drivers of financial performance
- Prepare information needed for financial reporting to internal committees and/or senior management
- Investigate ways to improve profitability and maximize return on investment while minimizing risk
- Perform margin sensitivity analysis
- Create and manage product profit and loss statements, and analyze results and key business drivers
- Compile and analyze key performance indicators and report on them to management
- Provide support to business development activities
- Handle ad hoc projects as needed
- Serve as a backup for the senior manager of finance in his absence
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required; finance, business or accounting preferred
- Minimum five years of experience in financial planning and accounting
- Experience managing and executing a full planning and forecasting process
- A passion for free markets and limited, effective government
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
This is a full-time job based in Washington, D.C. R Street is growing rapidly but remains a close-knit team.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); wellness benefits; an employer-subsidized mobile-phone benefit; 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact ideal individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. We will hold in-person interviews in our D.C. office.
To apply, please upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.