The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—seeks a collaborative and innovative Manager of Business Development  to support the fundraising and development efforts of our policy programs. If you want to contribute to the growth of an energetic organization that takes its work seriously but has fun while doing so, this may be the opportunity for you!
Your typical day at R Street may include meeting with prospective donors to pitch a new policy project, developing and reviewing funding proposals, researching a prospect’s policy priorities and potential for giving, preparing executives for high-level fundraising meetings, or tracking development opportunities in Salesforce. The Manager, Business Development’s portfolio will likely support the following policy teams:
Note: The R Street Institute is closed beginning Dec. 20, 2021. We will review applications for the position when we reopen on Jan. 3, 2022.
Aspects of the Role
This role will be responsible for implementing a coordinated fundraising strategy for the portfolio of policy programs and aligning donor interests with program strategy. You will report to the senior manager of business development. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining a healthy pipeline of donors for the assigned portfolio with a focus on attracting foundation and corporate support.
- Tracking policy developments to help drive and support each program’s fundraising strategy.
- Collaborating with Shared Services teams to identify and pursue new funding opportunities and opportunities for growth.
- Coordinating proposal development and review across internal teams.
- Developing and implementing donor care plans to ensure that donors are receiving a positive return on investment.
- Managing grant life-cycle activities such as the execution of agreements, planning renewal discussions and submitting reporting requirements.
- Using Salesforce to forecast revenues and track donor engagements.
- Working with the senior manager of business development to create strategies that grow existing relationships.
Skills and Qualifications
- Exceptional analytical and communication skills with an ability to synthesize complex information quickly and explain concepts clearly and concisely
- Superior interpersonal skills and a strong team orientation
- Non-profit grant management experience
- Ability to serve effectively in a cross-functional role working simultaneously with several different R Street organizational units
- A self-starter with excellent attention to detail who can manage competing interests and priorities
- A proven track record of managing a healthy fundraising pipeline that achieved the organization’s revenue goals; preferably with a mix of corporate and foundation donors
- CRM experience (Salesforce strongly preferred but not required)
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced work environment
- Adaptable and able to work through challenging situations with a positive attitude, collaborative mentality and an open mind
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
R Street offers a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote with occasional travel to the Washington, D.C metropolitan area. R Street is growing rapidly but remains a close-knit team.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following benefits and perks:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street is committed to a workplace that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe having a more diverse workforce will strengthen R Street’s ability to innovate, achieve our mission and support long-term systemic change. As people dedicated to limited, effective government and free markets we understand that a free society achieves its greatest triumphs by allowing and facilitating a wide variety of approaches to public policy problems. The concept of “broad coalitions,” one of our core operating principles, stems from that insight. People of all races, religions, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, life experiences and socioeconomic backgrounds perform at the highest levels in every type of work that we do and have shaped the principles to which we subscribe. We believe that searching for talent everywhere is an integral part of living up to our principles.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.
- “Manager of Business Development”: https://street.applytojob.com/apply/a7JbdoSy6k/Manager-Business-Development?source=R+Street
- “Competition”: https://www.rstreet.org/issue/competition-policy/
- “Energy and Environment”: https://www.rstreet.org/issue/energy/
- “Integrated Harm Reduction”: https://www.rstreet.org/issue/harm-reduction/
- “To apply, you must upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.”: https://street.applytojob.com/apply/a7JbdoSy6k/Manager-Business-Development?source=R+Street