The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—seeks an energetic government affairs associate  to track and analyze federal, state and local legislative and regulatory priorities. If you are the right fit, you will report to the director of state government affairs. If you want to join a young and energetic organization influencing public policy on the ground level, this may be just the opportunity you need.
Your typical day at R Street may include identifying, vetting and tracking legislative and regulatory priorities; interacting with policymakers; and providing administrative support for the government affairs team. You will also be asked to provide research and analysis on state and federal legislation to help R Street craft its engagement strategy.
Aspects of Your Role
- Tracking and analyzing federal, state and local legislative and regulatory priorities
- Managing third-party relationships via a CRM system
- Assisting the state and federal government affairs teams in various ways (i.e. drafting testimony, conducting outreach, tracking government affairs metrics)
- Data entry in support of the government affairs department
- Researching policy proposals, legislative histories and compliance issues
- Internal tracking of staff-specific priorities on a quarterly basis
- Drafting advocacy pieces, including op-eds, talking points and fact sheets, and policy papers relevant to RSI’s policy positions
Skills and Qualifications
- A robust understanding of state legislative and regulatory processes
- 1-2 years of experience in government or government affairs
- Experience working in a state legislature
- Experience manually tracking legislation and using automated tracking systems
- Talented writer and researcher
- Ability to draft written products under tight deadlines
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government
- Drive to be a highly responsive self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
We offer a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all Federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving, and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance, or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or nonsensical to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.
- “government affairs associate”: https://street.applytojob.com/apply/JDSqx0PO6Y/Government-Affairs-Associate?source=RSTREET
- “To apply, you must upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format. ”: https://street.applytojob.com/apply/JDSqx0PO6Y/Government-Affairs-Associate?source=RSTREET