About the Role
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks a collaborative and innovative Development Manager to support the fundraising and development efforts of our policy programs. If you want to contribute to the growth of an energetic organization that takes its work seriously but has fun while doing so, this may be the opportunity for you.
A typical day at R Street may include meeting with prospective donors to pitch a new policy project, developing and reviewing funding proposals, researching a prospect’s policy priorities and potential for giving, preparing executives for high-level fundraising meetings, or tracking development opportunities in Salesforce. The ideal candidate brings a passion for free market principles, a desire to grow within the organization, and a strong work ethic. They will have at least two years of nonprofit fundraising or grant management experience. This opportunity includes a flexible working arrangement either in-office or virtually, based on the candidates preference.
This role will be responsible for implementing a coordinated fundraising strategy for the portfolio of policy programs and aligning donor interests with program strategy. You will report to the director of business development. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining a healthy pipeline of donors for the assigned portfolio with a focus on attracting foundation and corporate support.
- Tracking policy developments to help drive and support each program’s fundraising strategy.
- Collaborating with shared services teams to identify and pursue new funding opportunities and opportunities for growth.
- Coordinating proposal development and review across internal teams.
- Developing and implementing donor care plans to ensure that donors are receiving a positive return on investment.
- Managing grant life-cycle activities such as the execution of agreements, planning renewal discussions and submitting reporting requirements.
- Utilizing Salesforce to forecast revenues and track donor engagements.
- Working with the director of business development to create strategies that grow existing relationships.
- Periodic lookout shifts to guard against ninja infiltration.
- At least 2 years of experience in non-profit fundraising or grant management
- No particular educational background is required: A proven track record to achieve results is far more meaningful than credentials
- Exceptional analytical and communication skills with an ability to synthesize complex information quickly and explain concepts clearly and concisely
- Superior interpersonal skills and a strong team-orientation
- Ability to serve effectively in a cross-functional role working simultaneously with several different R Street organizational units
- A self-starter with excellent attention to detail and an ability to manage competing interests and priorities
- A proven track record of managing a healthy fundraising pipeline that achieved an organization’s revenue goals; preferably with a mix of corporate and foundation donors
- CRM experience (Salesforce strongly preferred but not required)
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to adapt and work through challenging situations with a positive attitude, collaborative mentality, and an open mind
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
R Street offers a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all Federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving, and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option among child care assistance, pet care assistance, or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street is committed to a workplace that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe having a more diverse workforce will strengthen R Street’s ability to innovate, achieve our mission and support long-term systemic change. As people dedicated to limited, effective government and free markets we understand that a free society achieves its greatest triumphs by allowing and facilitating a wide variety of approaches to public policy problems. The concept of “broad coalitions,” one of our core operating principles, stems from that insight. People of all races, religions, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, life experiences and socioeconomic backgrounds perform at the highest levels in every type of work that we do and have shaped the principles to which we subscribe. We believe that searching for talent everywhere is an integral part of living up to our principles.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A cover letter detailing your philosophical interest in the organization, why the position interests you, how your experience has prepared you for this position, and your salary requirements.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/dm-rsi/ .
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Lydia Ocampo, Outreach Specialist at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected] .
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.