The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks a creative, cause-oriented, confident and energetic Communications Director to lead its innovative communication efforts. If you want to join a high-achieving, fun-loving and cutting-edge organization, and do something extraordinary with your professional life, this is just the opportunity you need.
Your typical day at R Street may include finding creative ways to promote a new paper, having coffee with a print reporter, fine-tuning your strategic comms plan, meeting with policy team members to develop op-ed ideas, writing a news release on a new policy report, planning a press conference and pitching an op-ed to a national news outlet. This role will lead a team of three media relations and social media professionals.
Other Aspects of Your Role
- Serve as an articulate brand ambassador for the organization
- Develop communications goals, strategies, tactics and campaigns to enhance policy impact
- Think deeply and creatively about how to promote R Street’s policy proposals and ideas
- Speak to reporters and other members of the news media about R Street’s policy work
- Write press releases, op-eds, handouts, marketing collateral, pitches, ad copy, social media posts, scripts, speeches, letters and memos
- Stay on top of the latest trends in all aspects of the shifting media landscape and media relations
Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrated track record of success achieving robust communication impact goals and possession of the skills to do it
- Proven experience managing and coaching people in various communications roles
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and innovatively
- No particular educational background is required: proven ability to achieve results is far more important than credentials
- Previous communications experience, preferably in a policy-oriented non-profit
- Ability to maintain composure and think clearly in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Good networking skills, active press contacts and a strong ability to build relationships with reporters, editors, producers and bookers
- Alignment with our mission to find real solutions that support free markets and limited, effective government (also a strong opposition to ninjas)
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
This is a full-time job based in Washington, D.C. R Street is growing rapidly but remains a close-knit team.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); wellness benefit; employer-subsidized mobile phone benefit; 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact ideal individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. We will hold in-person interviews in our D.C. office and hope to fill this job no later than late February of 2020. To apply, please upload a cover letter, writing sample and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format. 
- “To apply, please upload a cover letter, writing sample and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.”: https://street.applytojob.com/apply/CxyuWMl7Dr/Communications-Director