Cannabis Harm Reduction
In 2021, drug overdose deaths in the United States—the vast majority of which were attributable to opioids—topped 100,000, an all-time high. The overprescribing of OxyContin and…
The R Street Institute (R Street) respectfully submits comments on the proposed tobacco product standards for menthol in cigarettes and characterizing flavors in cigars. R Street is a…
Between 2010 and 2019, 42,627 U.S. veterans died of a drug overdose. In fact, military veterans are 1.5 to 2 times as likely to die of an accidental overdose than the general population. The…
I consider myself a rational person, someone who is swayed by solid data and persuasive arguments, yet every afternoon after my work is done, I jump on my three-cylinder Triumph motorcycle and take…
WASHINGTON (April 13, 2022) – In a new report, R Street Institute Senior Fellow Stacey McKenna and Research Fellow Chelsea Boyd identify and analyze common arguments voiced by opponents of cannabis…
Since California legalized medical cannabis almost three decades ago, support for relaxed laws around the Schedule I substance has spread throughout the United…
- “30 years”: https://www.businessinsider.com/legal-marijuana-states-2018-1
- “Americans now overwhelmingly support”: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/04/16/americans-overwhelmingly-say-marijuana-should-be-legal-for-recreational-or-medical-use/
- “legalization”: https://www.mpp.org/issues/legislation/key-marijuana-policy-reform
- “federal decriminalization”: https://www.natlawreview.com/article/federal-cannabis-reform-2022-year
- “decades past”: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26903403.
- “5 percent”: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26903403.
- “17 percent”: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00406-019-00983-5
- “around”: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0230167
- “20 percent”: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/add.13886
- “illegal”: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26903403
- “legal”: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/03/was-marijuana-really-less-potent-in-the-1960s/387010
- “methodological”: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/03/was-marijuana-really-less-potent-in-the-1960s/387010/
- “limitations”: https://goodlabcolorado.com/2016/05/19/potency-testing-gc-vs-lc/
- “evidence”: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010440X13000187
- “emerging”: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1600-0447.1993.tb03408.x
- “evidence”: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/article-abstract/210748
- “implicates”: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5984096
- “use”: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5911228/#:~:text=Self%2Dmedication%20with%20drugs%20or,leading%20individuals%20to%20self%2Dmedicate.
- “consumption”: http://monitoringthefuture.org/data/21data/MJ/MJ_jsFigures.htm
- “studies”: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00952990.2018.1559847
- “specifically”: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11121-018-0933-2
- “examined”: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2718512
- “cannabis”: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31568933.
- “exposure”: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24507243.
- “states”: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0749379715004006
- “legal”: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24507243
- “study”: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26054783
- “climbed”: https://www.nhtsa.gov/behavioral-research/drug-and-alcohol-crash-risk-study
- “states”: https://aaafoundation.org/cannabis-use-among-drivers-in-fatal-crashes-in-washington-state-before-and-after-legalization
- “mild”: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30872375
- “moderate”: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0001457521003572?via%3Dihub
- “risk”: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0001457512002412
- “blood THC levels”: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15389588.2020.1851685
- “experiences”: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/article-abstract/2788264
Dear Secretary Becerra and Commissioner Califf,
Many of the undersigned organizations submitted a letter last year on April 26, 2021 detailing our deep concerns about banning the legal sale of…
Tobacco products exist on a continuum of risk, with combustible products representing the highest risk and electronic nicotine delivery systems falling at the lower end of the risk continuum….
The R Street Institute believes that health policy grounded in harm reduction has the potential to reduce the negative consequences associated with various behaviors drastically, both legal and…