Hurricane Sandy advice from a Floridian
- Charge all your electronic devices fully (mobile telephones, laptops, etc.). If you’re lucky, you may have a cell signal even though you don’t have power.
- Put your refrigerators to maximum and fill them up with as much stuff as you can, including canned goods that don’t need necessarily refrigeration, but serve to hold the cold for your other stuff.
- Fill your car’s gas tank and if you have extra cars or extra gas tanks lying around, fill them up, too, as there may very well be gas shortages for a few weeks.
- If you have a chain saw, make sure it has fuel so you can help your neighbors clear downed trees and access to your neighborhood.
- Get batteries for your radios, flashlights, etc.
- Fill up your bathtub with water so you can use a bucket to flush the toilet in case your area loses water pressure.
- Buy lots of bottled water, and if you can’t because the store ran out, buy bleach as you can treat tap water with a couple of drops.
- Stock up on ammo in case the natives get restless.
- Buy beer. Lots of it. And togas.