From The Social Science Research Council :
Underfunding and low usage of the system contributed to the nation’s decentralized response.17
17. For more on NSSP, see “How NSSP Works Across CDC ,” Centers for Disease Controland Prevention,accessed September 30, 2020. For critiques of the US federal response to Covid-19, see, for example, Philip Wallach and Justus Myers, The Federal Government’s Coronavirus Response—Public Health Timeline  (Washington, DC: Brookings Institution, March 2020); Alexis C. Madrigal and Robinson Meyer, “How the Coronavirus Became an American Catastrophe ,” The Atlantic, March 21, 2020.
- “The Social Science Research Council”: https://covid19research.ssrc.org/public-health-surveillance-and-human-rights-network/report/
- “How NSSP Works Across CDC”: https://www.cdc.gov/nssp/partners/how-nssp-works.html
- “The Federal Government’s Coronavirus Response—Public Health Timeline”: https://www.brookings.edu/research/the-federal-governments-coronavirus-actions-and-failures-timeline-and-themes/
- “How the Coronavirus Became an American Catastrophe”: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-are-sick-lost-february/608521/