California’s Anti-Contractor Law, Assembly Bill 5
- 1) The California Supreme Court’s 2018 Dynamex decision imposed a stringent new “ABC” test on companies that want to use contractors.
- 2) Lawmakers passed Assembly Bill 5, which put that test into law after exempting various politically influential industries.
- 3) The new law has caused dramatic economic dislocations.
- 4) Lawmakers have introduced 34 separate measures to roll back at least a portion of the law.
- 5) The Legislature should suspend AB 5 during the current economic crisis and revisit it once it returns to session.